Today I was finally able to welcome in the weekend, (something I did with big, open arms). It was one of those weeks where the days felt long, and the nights even longer. Thanks to varsity my week has been filled with little sleep, lots of work and ridiculous amounts of coffee. The empty lecture venues and tired faces on campus tells me that I am not alone, which I guess can be reassuring.
Being a student has a fair amount of ups and downs (late nights spent in the library being the least of my worries). No matter how ready you think you are, life has a way of throwing you curved balls that have the ability to stretch you more than you could have hoped. However, I guess this is simply the process of growing up. Looking back I can hardly recognise the person I started out as in my first year as a student. And this, I am quite happy about.
This year I spread my wings even further as I left the safe keeping of res and took on digs life. A new chapter promised to bring new life lessons (especially living in a house with five girls)! However, things have sailed pretty smoothly so far and doing life with these girls has been an absolute treat. Now, as the end of the year approaches so a new group of students take on the transition of moving into a digs.
Here are some things I have learnt so far…
1. If you enjoy a hot shower, make sure you plan around this and muscle your way to the bathroom before any of your digs mates to avoid great disappointment and discomfort.
2. When a group of five girls are going to the same event, at the same time, do make sure to check there is enough electricity to make it through the process of getting ready. Wet hair and no make-up will only lead to panic.
3. On that note, realise that when the electricity goes out, so does the box in which you recharge your electricity. Double problem. Hence, always keep batteries in the house.
4. Always, always make sure you have spare toilet paper.
5. A pet is always a good idea, until you actually have one.
6. Money does not, in fact, grow on trees.
This last point leads me to my next baking adventure, rice krispie treats. These are the perfect student treat as it consists of three ingredients and is therefore easy on your wallet. They are quick and easy to make and allow you to be as creative as you want. Here is the recipe.
¼ cup margarine
6 cups rice krispies cereal
1. Melt margarine in large pot over low heat.
2. Add marshmallows and stir continuously until completely melted.
3. Remove from heat and add rice krispies cereal. Stir until well coated.
4. Press the sticky mixture evenly into a buttered 9” x 13” inch pan. (This is best done with your hands, leaving you full of marshmallow goodness)
Feel free to mix it up with anything you like. Mine were left quite simple but here is some inspiration I found online.
This was taken from the website Eat The Love
This image was taken from Bowties and Bliss